Bhai Dooj 2023: Bhai Dooj also known as Bhau Beej, is a special Hindu festival that celebrates the beautiful bond between brothers and sisters. It takes place on the Dwitiya Tithi of Shukla Paksha in the month of Kartik, and this year, the celebration falls on November 15, 2023. On this day, sisters perform a tilak ceremony on their brother’s forehead and pray for their well-being. In return, brothers give gifts to their sisters as a token of love. Different regions in India celebrate it in their own unique ways, like Phota in West Bengal and Bhao Beej in Maharashtra.
Bhai Dooj 2023: A Day for Sibling Love
Bhai Dooj 2023 is a significant day in the Hindu calendar, highlighting the special connection shared between brothers and sisters. It goes by various names like Bhau Beej, Bhatra Dwitiya, Bhai Dwitiya, and Bhathru Dwithiya. As Diwali festivities wind down, Bhai Dooj brings a heartwarming conclusion.
The celebration aligns with the Dwitiya Tithi of Shukla Paksha in Kartik, with this year’s festivities on November 15, 2023.
Bhai Dooj 2023
Bhai Dooj 2023: Dates and Times
- Dwitiya Tithi Begins – November 14, 2023 – 02:36 PM
- Dwitiya Tithi Ends – November 15, 2023 – 01:47 PM
- Bhai Dooj Aparahna Time – November 15, 2023 – 12:38 PM to 02:53 PM
Shubh Muhurat for Tilak
- Shubh Choghadiya: November 15, 2023, 10:44 AM to 12:05 PM
- Chal Choghadiya: November 15, 2023, 02:46 PM to 04:07 PM
- Laabh Choghadiya: November 15, 2023, 04:07 PM to 05:27 PM
- Bhai Dooj 2023: The Heart of the Festival
Bhai Dooj holds a special place for brothers and sisters, symbolizing love and mutual respect. Sisters perform the tilak ceremony, marking their brothers’ foreheads with roli and haldi tilak, symbolizing prayers for their well-being and longevity. In return, brothers express their love with thoughtful gifts.
Bhai Dooj 2023: Celebrations
In West Bengal, it’s known as Phota, where sisters fast and then share food with their brothers after the tilak. Maharashtra and Goa celebrate as Bhao Beej, where sisters conclude the tilak in the evening, seeking blessings for their brothers’ long life.
In Uttar Pradesh, sisters gift dried coconuts to their brothers after the tilak. In Nepal, Bhai Dooj is called Bhai Tihar, incorporating the Arabic term “Tihar” for the tilak performed by sisters.
Bhai Dooj 2023: Puja Rituals
- Brothers and sisters don traditional attire in the morning.
- Those who consider deities like Laddoo Gopal Ji and Lord Ganesha as brothers initiate the tilak ceremony.
- Sisters prepare delicious treats for their brothers.
- Siblings visit each other, adding to the joy of Bhai Dooj.
- Sisters create a beautiful plate with roli, unbroken rice, dried coconut, sweets, and the chosen gift.
- Tilak is applied, followed by the presentation of akshat, and sisters extend good wishes for their brothers’ health.
- Sister serve food to their brothers and make this festival more memorable.
- In return, brothers touch the feet of their sisters and take blessings.
- They present something to their sisters either money as a token of affection and respect or some gift of her choice.